There’s something about seriously sad movies that just drives a dagger of love and passion into our souls. Especially if they’re adapted from a best-selling book, as is “The Fault in Our Stars.” The words John Green wrote left an indelible mark on every teenager — and most adults — who’ve read them.
Here are twelve quotes from the book that found their way to the big screen.
- Augustus Waters: I am in love with you. And I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we’re all doomed. And that one day all our labor will be returned to dust. And I know that the sun will swallow the only earth we will ever have. And I am in love with you.
- Augustus Waters: Hello, are you Monica’s mother?
Monica’s Mom: I am…Augustus Waters: Hello, ma’am. Your daughter, she’s done a great injustice, so we’ve come here seeking revenge. You see, we may not look like much, but between the three of us we have five legs, four eyes and two and a half pairs of working lungs, but we also have two dozen eggs, so if I were you, I would go back inside.[Monica’s mother looks freaked and goes back inside]Isaac: Did… That actually worked?
Augustus Waters: Yep.
Isaac: That was the stupidest speech I’ve ever… That actually worked?
- Hazel Grace Lancaster: I fell in love with him the way you fall asleep: Slowly, and then all at once.
- Augustus Waters: They don’t kill you unless you light them. And I’ve never lit one. It’s a metaphor, see: You put the killing thing right between your teeth, but you don’t give it the power to do its killing. A metaphor.
- Augustus Waters: That’s a thing about pain. It demands to be felt.
- Hazel Grace Lancaster: Is it really 1 A.M.?Augustus Waters: Is it? Yeah, yes, it is.Augustus Waters: [laugh] I should probably go to sleep.Augustus Waters: [Exhale] Okay.Hazel Grace Lancaster: Okay.
Augustus Waters: Okay.
Hazel Grace Lancaster: Okay.
Augustus Waters: Perhaps, ‘okay’ will be our ‘always.’
Hazel Grace Lancaster: Okay.
- Hazel Grace Lancaster: Is this where you bring all your romantic conquests?Augustus Waters: Yeah, every last one of them. Which is probably why I’m still a virgin.Augustus Waters: You are not still a virgin! Are you really?Augustus Waters: Let me show you something.[picks up a stick and draws a circle in the ground]
Augustus Waters: See this circle? That is the circle of virgins.
Hazel Grace Lancaster: Uh-huh?
[Gus draws another barely visible circle within the already drawn circle]
Augustus Waters: And this… is 18-year-old dudes with one leg.
- Hazel Grace Lancaster: I believe we have a choice in this world about how to tell sad stories. On the one hand, you can sugarcoat it the way they do in movies and romance novels, where beautiful people learn beautiful lessons, where nothing is too messed up that can’t be fixed with an apology and a Peter Gabriel song. I like that version as much as the next girl, believe me. It’s just not the truth. This is the truth. Sorry.
Augustus Waters: Apparently the world is not a wish-granting factory.
- Augustus Waters: [voice over, from his eulogy to Hazel] Mr. Van Houten. I’m a good person, but a shitty writer. You’re a shitty person, but a good writer. I think we’d make a good team. I don’t wanna ask you for any favors, but if you have the time – and from what I saw you had plenty – please fix this for me: It’s a eulogy for Hazel. She asked me to write one, and I’m trying, but I just… I could use a little flair. See, the thing is… we all wanna be remembered. But Hazel’s different. Hazel knows the truth. She didn’t want a million admirers, she just wanted one. And she got it. Maybe she wasn’t loved widely, but she was loved deeply. And isn’t that more than most of us get? When Hazel was sick, I knew I was dying, but I didn’t wanna say so. She was in the ICU when I snuck in for ten minutes and I just sat with her before I got caught. Her eyes were closed, her skin pale, but her hands were still her hands, still warm, and her nails were painted this dark blue black color, and… I just held them. And I willed myself to imagine a world without us and what a worthless world that would be. She’s so beautiful. You don’t get tired of looking at her. You never worry if she’s smarter than you, ’cause you know she is. She’s funny without ever being mean. I love her. God, I love her, I’m so lucky to love her, Van Houten. You don’t get to choose if you get hurt in this world, but you do have a say in who hurts you. And I like my choices. I hope she likes hers. Okay, Hazel Grace?
- Hazel Grace Lancaster: [about egg throwing] Guys, I think we should wait until dark.Augustus Waters: It’s all dark to Isaac.Isaac: Dude, I’m not deaf, I’m just blind, so I can hear when you make fun of my disability.
- Hazel Grace Lancaster: Hello. My name is Hazel Grace Lancaster. And Augustus Waters was the star-crossed love of my life. Ours is an epic love story and I probably won’t be able to get more than a sentence out without disappearing into a puddle of tears. Like all real love stories, ours will die with us, as it should. You know, I’d kind of hoped that he’d be the one eulogizing me, because there is really no one else… Yeah, no, um… I’m not gonna talk about our love story, ’cause I can’t. So instead I’m gonna talk about math. I’m not a mathematician, but I do know this: There are infinite numbers between zero and one. There’s point one, point one two, point one one two, and an infinite collection of others. Of course, there is a bigger set of infinite numbers between zero and two or between zero and a million. Some infinities are simply bigger than other infinities. A writer that we used to like taught us that. You know, I want more numbers than I’m likely to get, and God, do I want more days for Augustus Waters than what he got. But Gus, my love, I can not tell you how thankful I am, for our little infinity. You gave me a forever, within the numbered days. And for that I am… I am eternally grateful. I love you so much.Augustus Waters: I love you too.